Saturday, April 28, 2012

Saving Face.



There is the woman I am today, and then… there is the woman I want to be.  
I strive to be like her,
she has an incredible amount of dignity
and self-respect
and respect for all other peoples/creatures.

Much of her strength is rooted in her pride of being
A woman.  

I admire this “desired self”, and I often seek her advice through journaling.
But recently she’s called me out…
Because she does not wear makeup.


And I do, mostly for the wrong reasons. 


I am not anti-makeup.  I am anti-insecurity, I am anti-objectification

I believe a woman or man can adorn themselves, having completely the right attitude. 

However, I caught myself with an attitude misaligned with mass-media defined beauty.  Beauty truly defined by a capitalist system, encouraging me to consume, consume, consume the right lotion, mascara, foundation, ect.   Beauty that I am supposed to buy so, at the end of the day, I feel better about myself?

Well, its 10:30 PM, and I am feeling pretty self-conscious that I caught myself hiding behind what Vogue and Desperate Housewives have defined a face worth “wearing.” 

… but I gotta face!   

So, until my attitude is in check, this is the one you all are going to be stuck looking at for awhile! 

And anyway, I’d like to think,
The best foundation is a little sun,
The best blush is a good laugh,
The best eye shadow is a full night’s sleep.

*disclaimer: I am not anti-Desperate Housewives, it is hilarious.* 

All my Love, 
KJ

No comments:

Post a Comment